Greg and I have been experimenting with some new ash glazes. Pictures are below.
Our original recipe is something we got from Randy Tobias. We couldn't ever get it to work quite right, but that's the nature of ash glazes (and glazes in general).
It contained unwashed hardwood ash, Redart, and 3195 frit. (I'm happy to give out formulas -- just email me.)
We've had trouble with running and with bubbles, and we've tweaked the formula a few times to see what happens, but without much luck. We had a better run this time around -- the things that we made worked well and looked good, and didn't seem to run or to bubble up too badly. We'll see how they look on jugs.
The first one is a combination of a couple experiments. There's a bit of Tennessee ball clay in there with the Redart, and a tiny bit of copper:
The second is Alberta slip with frit (in the same proportion as our usual Redart mix):
The third one is ash and Alberta slip, 1:1 with 4% added iron:
The fourth one is ash and Redart, 1:1 with 4% added iron:
The fifth is our usual ash glaze, though we're not entirely sure which usual, and it's been aging for at least a year (and it's apparently applied thinner than usual):
And the last is our usual ash glaze mixed 1:1 (wet) with our usual clear glaze: